This week’s photo prompt is provided by TJ Paris.
Guide for Flash Fiction for Aspiring Writers
1. A prompt photo will be provided each Monday pm to be used as a base to your story. Please include photo prompt with your story.
2. Linking for this challenge begins on Monday pm and runs to the following Monday pm.
3. Please credit photo to photographer.
4. The story word limit is 100 – 150 words (+ – 25 words). Please try to stay within this limit.
5. Please indicate the number of words in your story at the end.
Sunshine glittered off shimmering waters, reflecting in his sunglasses; beach silent but for the soft whisper of waves. Back in the cottage, his phone would be ringing, but he didn’t want to talk. He didn’t want to even be in the same universe as anybody he knew.
“You know,” he said to the salt and the sand, “I’m not crazy.”
The salt and the sand didn’t answer, nor had he expected them to. That would be crazy.
A seagull flew overhead, silent.
Water lapped his toes.
He could almost hear the ringing. Ringing. Ringing.
“I don’t need any help.”
Which was true, but not honest.
How could such a beautiful world be so ugly inside?
He imagined diving into the crystal water and swimming away forever.
A seagull flew overhead, screaming.
Slowly, he turned and headed back towards the cottage, footsteps trailing behind in the sand.
Ringing. Ringing. Ringing.